There was outrage from all sides this past week when the Ontario Government announced plans that would see people occupying hospital beds moved to long-term care facilities, without their consent if necessary. So far there has not been a detailed plan revealed that would spell out how the new system would work.
When Long-term Care Minister Paul Calandra tabled the bill last week, he said the legislation would give hospitals the authority to temporarily move patients no longer needing acute care into long-term care homes chosen by a placement co-ordinator. Hospitals would be required to make “reasonable efforts” to obtain patient consent, but the text of the bill says it could be done without consent if necessary.
Critics say that, in Northern Ontario, a patient could be moved to a long-term care facility up to 300 km away. In much of southern Ontario, patients could be moved 100 km away from their homes, while in cities it could be up to 30 km.
Bay Observer Publisher John Best and Bill Kelly discussed the issue on the Friday edition of the Bill Kelly Show.