Burlington is seeking Expressions of Interest from professional artists or artist teams to create a mural for a large exterior wall as part of the Mountainside Pool Revitalization Project.
This is a two-stage competition. In Stage One, artists will submit their qualifications and an Expression of Interest Statement. In Stage Two, three artists will be short-listed to create a full design proposal. Shortlisted artists will be given an honorarium of $1,500 to create their design proposals.
A citizen advisory committee of local artists, residents and stakeholders explored project goals and themes. Artists are invited to respond to one or more aspects of the project goals determined by the Mountainside Pool Mural Steering Committee.
Who can apply?
This competition is open to professional artists or artist teams. Applicants must demonstrate the capacity to oversee the design, fabrication and installation of a large-scale mural in a public space. The selected artist/artist team must be available for meetings with project staff and the Steering Committee. We encourage submissions from artists from equity seeking groups, including 2SLGBTQ+, Indigenous, Black, and racialized artists, as well as deaf artists and artists with disabilities.
The Mountainside Pool Mural Project Goals:
• Create a contemporary, professional mural that is welcoming to families and pool users
• Reflect a spirit of inclusion, community building and belonging
• Demonstrate an understanding of or connection to the Mountainside community
• Celebrate the unique natural environment surrounding the facility; Mountainside is a neighbourhood in a natural setting (i.e. wood lot, connections to Niagara escarpment, etc.)
• Artists are encouraged to consider ways to incorporate community engagement into their project design (not mandatory)
Sept.16 Expressions of Interest responses due
By Oct.31 Three artists selected for shortlist (develop detailed design proposals)
Dec.16 Detailed design proposals due
Jan 2023 Public consultation; interviews with shortlisted artists
Feb 2023 Winning proposal is selected; artist enters into a contract with the City of Burlington
May/June 2023 Mural is installed; public unveiling
For more information, visit burlington.ca/publicart.