With the growing number of instances of people buying and selling online being ripped off, the Halton Regional Police Service has launched its first Buy & Sell Exchange Zone.
Many people have become victims of crimes such as robberies, frauds and thefts when attempting to buy or sell property online. The purpose of the Buy & Sell Exchange Zone is to provide a safe place for those who are buying, selling, or trading property online. Halton Police encourage residents meeting new people while finalizing online transactions, to use the Exchange Zone.
The clearly-signed Exchange Zone is situated in the visitor parking lot of our 20 Division facility, which is located at:
95 Oak Walk Drive
Oakville, Ontario L6H 0G6
Phone: 905-825-4777 ext. 2205
Police suggest for those unable to meet at the Buy & Sell Exchange Zone, to consider completing transactions in well-lit, public and popular locations to avoid being a victim of crime.
Tips to protect yourself during a buy and sell exchange:
- Complete your transaction during daytime hours only.
- Use the buddy system when possible. Bring a family or friend with you, or at the very least, let someone know who you will be meeting, the time, and the location of the exchange.
- To reduce the potential of falling victim to fraud, never complete a buy and sell transaction by mail.
- When meeting in person, always inspect goods you wish to purchase before giving money to the seller.
- Limit the amount of personal information you provide.
- Stop. Pause. Think. If something seems too good to be true, it likely is.
Additional details: https://www.haltonpolice.ca/en/staying-safe/buy-and-sell-exchange-zone.aspx