Now Reading
Friends say Meghan Markle will cut ties with Jessica Mulroney

Friends say Meghan Markle will cut ties with Jessica Mulroney

According to sources who spoke exclusively to the Daily Mail, Meghan Markle is ‘absolutely mortified’ with best friend Jessica Mulroney’s ‘tone-deaf’ threats to sue a black influencer and can ‘no longer be associated with her.’

Jessica and Meghan when Meghan was in Toronto

‘Meghan is absolutely mortified that she’s been dragged into this complete mess. She said Jessica is in no way a racist, but the way she handled the situation (with the fashion influencer) was tone-deaf and heartbreaking,’ a close friend of Meghan’s said. 

 ‘Meghan said friends reflect friends and because of what’s at stake she can no longer be associated with Jessica, at least not in public. She has to do what she has to do in order to preserve her dignity and her own reputation,’ they added, noting that mixed race Markle, in her brief royal role, lent her name to various anti-racism causes.

Jessica with Robin Roberts of ABC’s Good Morning America

If true, the comments by the Duchess of Sussex are the final blow over a weekend that saw Mulroney lose her show I Do, Redo that was to air on CTV, guest spots on ABC’s Good Morning America, and a number of product sponsors.

The row started last week after Jessica was accused by Toronto lifestyle influencer Sasha Exeter of threatening her career and trying to “silence a Black woman” during the anti-Black racism movement.

Exeter said in an Instagram video Wednesday that the dispute started when she put out a call on social media for her peers to use their platform to support Black voices. While she wasn’t named in the Tweet, Mulroney apparently believed the post was referring to her because she had not been speaking out on racial issues. Exeter said Mulroney threatened her in writing with a libel suit and lashed out at her several times afterwards, including a post that suggested she was going to complain to some of Exeter’s clients.

The Instagram post that triggered the row

“That’s a threat to my livelihood — and for her to threaten me, a single mom, a single Black mom, during a racial pandemic blows my mind,” said Exeter, who used to be an acquaintance of Mulroney’s. “It’s absolutely unbelievable.

Mulroney has issued several apologies.”The events that have transpired over the last few days have made it clear that I have work to do,” she said in a written statement. “I realize more than ever how being a white, privileged woman has put me far ahead of so many, and in particular those in the Black community. And while I can’t change the past, I can do my part to do better in the future.” Mulroney added that she plans to step “back from social media in the coming days” to reflect and give her “microphone to Black voices” by having them take over her account. “I remain more committed than ever to support anti-racism efforts and will do everything in my power to right this wrong,” Mulroney wrote.

What's Your Reaction?
Don't Agree
4
Happy
2
In Love
0
Not Sure
1
View Comments (0)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

© 2019 The Bay Observer. All Rights Reserved.

Scroll To Top