City council is being asked to approve terms of reference for the Mayor’s Task Force on Economic Recovery that will encompass every sector of the local economy. The 24-member task force will be comprised of:
• The Mayor
• Two (2) City Councillors
• One (1) local representative from Building/Skilled Trades
• One (1) representative from Workforce Planning Hamilton
• One (1) representative from Hamilton Chamber of Commerce
• One (1) representative from Stoney Creek Chamber of Commerce
• One (1) representative from Flamborough Chamber of Commerce
• Ten (10) Hamilton based businesses or associations representing:
➢ Accommodation sector
➢ Restaurant/Hospitality sector
➢ Music Industry sector
➢ Film Industry sector
➢ Tourism/Attractions sector
➢ Transportation/Logistics sector
➢ Agriculture/Food and Beverage Processing sector
➢ Manufacturing sector
➢ Life Sciences sector
➢ ICT/Digital sector
• One (1) representative of the BIAs
• One (1) representative representing employers in the non-profit sector
• One (1) representative from the Building and Development Industry
• One (1) representative representing arts and culture
• Two (2) post-secondary education representatives
In addition, the City Manager will sit on the Task Force as the project sponsor.
The qualities of a candidate to be a member of the task force would include
• Brings a “Hamilton” focus and has an established network that can be “tapped” to assist in
accomplishing the Task Force objectives.
• Recognizes that successful collaboration produces results, not just structures and activities.
• Is open, reflective and can help the Task Force find their way to the answers.
• Engages others with diplomacy.
• Is willing to put tough or delicate issues on the table and work them through.
• Is willing to pioneer, break through and identify innovative solutions to complex issues related
to workforce development.
• Has experience being a change agent.
• Is able to represent a sector broadly, and not just an individual business, group or
Under the terms of reference the committee will operate under a consensus model where 80 percent of members present will need to approve any recommendation the committee makes.