Screen Grab of Facebook: online threats against one of the complainants

Threatening social media postings against complainants

Two former workers in the constituency office of Hamilton Mountain MPP Monique Taylor have filed Human Rights Tribunal applications alleging personal and sexual harassment. In addition the filing of one of the two complaints has triggered threatening social media postings that have been reported to Hamilton Police Services. Sandra Troulinos, A former close friend of Taylor, who later became a constituency worker in the constituency office of Taylor, has filed a Human Rights complaint against the MPP alleging harassment, bullying and persistent pressure to file a false claim of sexual harassment against a co-worker, Alissa Watt. In a document filed with the Human Rights Tribunal of Ontario earlier this month, Troulinos says she had been friends with MPP Taylor for 34 years before being hired to work in her constituency office in 2014. She described the work environment as demanding but said she had performed her duties professionally and had received positive performance reviews up until the last year of her employment, when as the document reads, “… Monique has become increasingly aggressive and hostile towards my colleagues and me. She bullies and demeans us regularly. Most problematic though, is that she has made unfounded allegations against my colleagues and complaints about them.” The document went on to describe a campaign by Taylor to force Troulinos to file a sexual harassment complaint against a co-worker, Alissa Watt. She recalled being called into Taylor’s office where the MPP asked her for her impressions of her co-worker.

“I told Monique that I liked Alissa, that she was quirky, funny and that she was complimentary and occasionally gave me hugs. I laughed about this and was obviously not concerned with Alissa or her conduct—I never, once, told Monique that Alissa made me uncomfortable or gave her any indication that I felt sexually harassed by Alissa’s behaviour.

In response, Monique told me that Alissa’s conduct towards me (as I had described to her) was “not right” and that I should tell … Human Resources the next day. Not only did she say I should tell (HR), but she also told me that I “would” file a complaint with Human Resources about Alissa. I told her that I would not because I did not believe I was being harassed or that Alissa’s conduct was inappropriate. “

What followed, according to the filing, was “unrelenting” pressure from Taylor for Sandra to file the complaint. When she refused these requests, Taylor went ahead and filed the complaint herself. “She told me that if I did not participate it would make her look bad.  I simply could not lie about something which I did not take offense to or feel was wrong —I felt that it violated my own sexual integrity to be forced to conform with someone else’s view of what was and was not sexually appropriate,” the complaint continued.

Following the publication last month of Sandra’s story, a Facebook posting appeared from Nicole Taylor, the MPP’s sister, castigating Sandra for disloyalty. In response to that, a posting by Maggie Miller read, “you want me to knock a bitch out?,” to which Rachael Cameron replied, “So what’s the plan. I’m 10 (minutes) away.” Sandra took her concerns to the Hamilton Police Service but said the officer she spoke to did not even look at the postings—something  Hamilton Police are now investigating. Sandra’s lawyer Wade Poziomka called the postings “disturbing and unacceptable,” adding, “comments that are being made, certainly appear to allude to physical violence.”

For her part, Alissa Watt, the worker accused of sexual harassment, alleges she was belittled for not being available for political events at night and on weekends owing to her need to care for an ailing parent. Citing one example, Alissa wrote, “Monique was attending a weekend event which I was unable to attend due to family obligations. I had listed in both my calendar and Monique’s calendar that I was unavailable on this weekend weeks in advance. Despite that, Monique was very angry with me when I reminded her that I would not be able to attend. She was angry with me for days afterward and her hostility was so stressful that I broke down crying in the parking lot of our office for disappointing her. I felt that I had to choose between my family obligations and workplace hostility —Monique was making it clear to me that my family priorities (on weekends) were a problem for her. “

Alissa described a second incident in the fall of last year. “On one occasion on or around September 10, 2017 Monique became angry with me for telling another employee that when she canvassed with Monique on the weekend it would count towards her week’s hours. When Monique heard this she became angry and said “I’m not (expletive) paying people to canvass for me”. I felt that her response was disproportionately hostile to what was, at worst, an innocent mistake on my part. This incident only contributed towards the anxiety I was experiencing at work.”

Alissa categorically denied the sexual harassment allegation made against her, and like Sandra, suggested that Taylor’s own frank discussion of personal matters made them uncomfortable. “In addition to making false allegations of sexual harassment against me, Monique also made me uncomfortable with comments which were unwarranted and sexual in nature…during this and other times where she made comments about her personal relationships…” Her filing says the sexual harassment charge was launched as an easier way to get rid of her, than trying to dismiss her for her unavailability for weekend political events, which according to the Union contract are supposed to be strictly voluntary.

Sandra’s complaint, which has yet to be proven before the Human Rights Tribunal alleges that as a result of the pressure to falsely accuse her co-worker the work environment in the office became poisoned. Sandra went on a medical leave of absence last November and has filed a grievance with the Canadian Office and Professional Employees Union (COPE) in addition to the Human Rights complaint. Alissa is also on a medical leave, has filed a grievance, as well as her  Human Rights Complaint. Alissa’s complaint states, “As a result of Monique’s conduct I struggled with frequent panic attacks, I could not sleep and my overall wellbeing deteriorated significantly. I have been attending my doctor’s office regularly since I commenced my medical leave and I have been advised that I am not medically able to return to work at this time.”

Both claims seek apologies and damages totalling $225,000.

Providing a Fresh Perspective for Burlington and Hamilton.

10 Comments to: TWO HUMAN RIGHTS COMPLAINTS ALLEGE HARASSMENT BY MPP MONIQUE TAYLOR

1. Laverne

April 10th, 2018

I would like to hear how you defend this article Mary. By the looks of these posts I would suggest Sandra and Alissa’s claims became even more credible. Unbelievable that the NDP provincial leader Andrea Horvath is silent on her own parties dirty laundry but the first to criticize other parties who have at least taken Swift action on similar allegations. This is why the ndp party will always be the bridesmaid party. Hypocrites

• Ann

April 11th, 2018

Don’t be fooled by that bright dimpled smile. Some people may fool you for a moment, but be patient and see what happens. A persons true colors will always show in time. As is the case here.When Miss Taylor gave her winning nomination speech, her first comment was, “I always wanted to see my picture on a sign.” That, in my opinion, is a female narcissist.Remember Miss Taylor, what you do now will come back to you in the future. Life has a funny way of making you deal with what you make others go through.

2. Ann

April 11th, 2018

3. Stephanie

April 11th, 2018

Yes Ann, its fascinating how things have a way of coming full circle. I want to see her face on a sign also, one that says I re-sign! I was in her office looking for some pins and I witnessed how she treated her staff and how she basically hurried me out of the office. Some people may not want to believe this or give it as much attention because its not a man but I believe she should have to be treated with the same rules. She must step down but I cant see her doing that because she would be admitting guilt. Or Ms Horvath must remove her which also wont happen because they will be challenged to keep the seats with or without this problem. They are two faced and I am disgusted by how they have ignored this. This has been going on for a long time by the sounds of it. I hope they can dig up the other people that also were fired or bought out or off sick. Hopefully then she can go and hang out with her thug friends on Facebook

4. Morti

April 12th, 2018

Just heard this story on Chch. How have they kept it so quite so long. Wow!

• Ann

April 12th, 2018

Stephanie – Ms. Taylor thinks she can use her position as a politician to act and say what she wants to whoever she wants which makes it even more despicable! What bothers me is Ms. Horwath’s silence in all of this. In the Spec article below from April 10th Ms’ Horwath commented on the story of the Torie MPP in Kitchener ousted because of inappropriate texts from an intern in 2013. And I quote, “NDP Leader Andrea Horwath called on the PC Leader to clarify what he knew and when. “Doug Ford needs to explain when he learned of the allegations of Michael Harris’ misconduct with an intern, and what role he played in Harris’ attempt to cover up it up,” Horwath said.
      “I commend the courage of the young woman who chose to speak out about the sexual misconduct she suffered while working for Michael Harris, and hope that she receives the support she needs now.”

Isn’t that the pot calling the kettle black????

• Stephanie

April 12th, 2018

Ann. Yes it is despicable. How can she sit there and call out the PC party when she can’t even answer for her own city ridings? And people believe she’s a good leader? I read an article in the spec about her considering or possibly being a candidate for city mayor. How does she think she can lead anything till she answers to what is obviously more than allegations. Where there is smoke there is fire. Ms Horvath should also step down. This is disgusting to the core. It speaks volumes about how she feels about these women , she reminds me of Hilary Clinton. Get in front of a microphone and camera and start answering to this waste of tax payers money. Over $300000 quoted on chml this morning and I don’t think that’s the half of it

5. Catherine

April 12th, 2018

I guess no one talking here knows Monique on a personal level. She welcomes an investigation because she knows nothing wrong has been done. I know Monique very well and know there has been nothing wrong done. She has helped my son and many more. She does nothing but help people and goes out of her way to do so. The people that say everything comes around. Well they will see when the circle ends up in a different direction than they want.

6. Anonymous

April 15th, 2018

Hello Catherine. I am happy to hear that she helped you and your son. Truly that is great but it doesn’t make what people are saying untrue. Unfortunately things will come around but I have witnessed what she has done and the allegations are all true. I’ve witnessed it, I’ve experienced it, I’ve been in circles and learned of it long before this came out, many people are aware. I hope justice is done because Andrea Horwath was also well aware of all the buy outs and sick people off and remains silent. How could she not know? 11 people in two offices, do you really believe 11 people in two offices oover a few years just decided to make some bogus claims and they all agreed on the same story? Pattern is consistent and very believable. The next MPP will also help you and your son because it’s their job, and let’s hope the next person doesn’t treat their staff like garbage and feel it’s ok to crap on people for their own gain. Read the articles and don’t be so closed minded. It’s not about the politics, the ndp aren’t a threat to anyone but themselves. It’s about the mpp violations of human rights away from public eyes. They to must be held accountable, we can’t pick and choose because she was nice to a select few. She only cares for herself in my experience. B

7. Mandeep

April 18th, 2018

Has anyone read today’s spectator article from Andrew Dreschel? It refers to the current state of this parties troubles and double standards. Well written and informative article but why are we not able to comment on it in the spectator? People are calling for ms Andrea to have the mpp’s removed from caucas and I agree as it seems like overwhelming evidence against them. Maybe these mpp’s could also step down as Mr Brown. The only logical answer to the parties stance is that they no they are in a no win situation. Doesn’t ms Andrea know this sign of weakness will follow her even after she is removed as party leader? As a minority women I am very disappointed with her and the party.