The joys of summer are in full swing. The days are longer, the gardens are bursting and entertaining outdoors and garden parties are filling up our calendars. Take full advantage of the time you have to spend outside – it’s not a long season!
DECORATING OUTDOOR SPACE
Summer is a great time to move the indoors out, and expand your living space without a major renovation! Sweep off the deck, set up your furniture and add in some fun – summer is a lighthearted and playful time of year.
- Make sure you have enough seating for a crowd – move wooden benches from inside to your outdoor space, or use large cushions, and poufs made of natural materials or washable fabrics.
- Add colour and comfort with outdoor toss cushions and blankets for the cool evenings
- Using an indoor/out- door area rug in a bold colour or stripe will create a defined space while transforming your space.
- Try painting your deck or ceiling (use a porch paint) to add a burst of colour and create a defined entertaining space.
- Create ambiance with lighting; string paper lanterns from the tree branches or your patio or use candles in hurricanes and metal and glass lanterns.
HOSTING A PARTY
Summer entertaining means you can pull out all the stops with colour and texture.
- Bright patterns are where it’s at for table linens so layer on a table cloth or runner, and for an outdoor event, make sure it’s a durable fabric.
- Mix and match dishes to make a unique table setting. Try a mix of melamine and colourful accent plates and bowls.
- Whether you want to use cloth or paper napkins, use a variety of colours, textures and patterns.
- Table centers or flowers can be housed in anything from small watering cans, to vintage vases, mix up the old and the new.
- Set up a bar on a small table with mix and match glassware, and use a pretty serving tray to for your plates of lemons, limes and other drink accessories.
Written by: Jennifer Walker