The dying days of summer are bittersweet, but a recent heat wave in Southwestern Ontario has extended the patio season. What better way to enjoy the remaining days of the season and take advantage of the local harvest than to serve up this vibrant Roasted Fruit Salad with Fresh Greens and Earthy Nuts dressed with a tangy Creamy Goat Cheese Dressing. Salads never need be humble and easily take on the shining role.
This refreshing salad makes for a light meal in itself, especially when served with some rustic crusty bread on the side. If you have a grill, consider grilling the fruit instead of roasting it. You many also want to sprinkle some fresh blueberries onto your plate.
Roasted Fruit Salad with Creamy Goat Cheese Dressing
For the Dressing:
- 4 1/2 oz (130 g) soft goat cheese
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1 1/2 – 2 tablespoons olive oil
- juice from 1 small lemon (2 tablespoons)
- 1/2 teaspoon white balsamic vinegar (optional)
- 1 – 2 teaspoons champagne or white wine vinegar
- pinch of sea salt
- fresh cracked black pepper to taste
For the Salad:
- 2 medium peaches, pitted and cut into wedges
- 2 medium red or black plums, pitted and cut into wedges
- 6 cups mixed salad greens
- small handful of fresh basil leaves, roughly torn (optional)
- a few handfuls of walnuts and/or pecans, halved, if desired
Whisk together 2/3 of the goat cheese with the honey, olive oil, lemon juice, vinegars, salt and black pepper until smooth. Crumble the remaining 1/3 of goat cheese and reserve for garnish
To roast the peaches and plums, preheat your oven to broil and set the rack to the highest level. Lightly grease a broiling pan with olive oil and arrange the fruit slices on the pan. Broil until the fruit just begins to dry out and starts to brown slightly on the edges — about 5 to 8 minutes.
(Alternately, lightly grill the peach and plum slices on a barbecue or grill for a few minutes.)
To serve, arrange a portion of the salad greens and basil on a serving plate and scatter the nuts over top. Arrange slices of the roasted peaches and plums on top. Drizzle with dressing. Garnish with the reserved goat cheese and serve alongside some crusty bread for a complete and satisfying light meal.
Yields 4 – 6 servings.
Other patio favorites from Lisa’s Vegetarian Kitchen:
[highlight]French Lentil and Roasted Sweet Corn Summer Salad[/highlight]
[highlight]Baked Chickpea Kofta Tacos with Avocado and Harissa[/highlight]
[highlight]Skewered Greek-Style Salad[/highlight]